Preparing for Surgery
There are a number of guidelines to follow in preparing for surgery:
- Please shower at home twice before surgery, once the evening before and once on the morning of. Click here for further specific instructions
- Please do not shave the surgical site! It will be done for you if necessary. Shaving yourself increases the risk of infection.
- If you are diabetic, please contact your primary physician for instructions regarding your insulin or oral medications.
- If you are currently taking non-steroidal medications, which includes Ascriptin, Aleve, Mortin or Advil; STOP taking these medications 5 days prior to your surgery.
- If you are currently taking Coumadin (Warfarin), Ticlid (Ticlopidine), or Plavix (Clopidogrel); Take these medications as directed by your physician.
- Do not eat or drink anything after midnight the night before surgery unless otherwise instructed. This includes coffee, tea, water, and juice.
- Do Not drink alcoholic beverages 24 hours prior to your surgery.
- Do Not smoke for 4 weeks before surgery or your risk of serious complications increases.
- Do Not bring valuables such as money, jewelry, etc. Do Not wear makeup
- Bring toiletries and loose fitting, comfortable clothing to wear upon discharge.
- Notify us if there is a change in your condition prior to surgery (such as a cold, cough, fever or infection). If severe, your surgery may need to be postponed for your safety.
- Stop all herbal medications 4 weeks before surgery unless discussed beforehand (especially Ginseng, Garlic, Gingko, or St. John’s Wort, which increases the risk of bleeding).
There are also a few important steps to take the day of your surgery:
- On the day of your surgery, report to hospital reception.
- If you have not already done so, you will meet your anesthesiologist.
- After the operation, you will go directly to the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) for 1-2 days, then admitted to a hospital room for further recovery if necessary.
- After discharge, and as long as you are taking prescription pain medicine, you are not permitted to:
- Drive a Car nor operate power equipment
- Drink Alcoholic Beverages
- Sign important papers
- Instructions regarding safe resumption of the above activities will be provided by your surgeon.
- If you have questions, regarding any of the above instructions, please do not hesitate to contact our office.